[Ads-l] Slight Antedating of "AIDS"

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Sun Jan 16 20:26:11 UTC 2022

Bay Area Reporter, Volume 12, Number 14, Page 6, 8 April 1982
(California Digital Newspapers Collection)   I would like to clarify a
couple of points in George Mendenhall’s March 25 B.A.R. report of the
poppers hearings in the San Francisco Board of Supervisors' Health and
Environment Committee on March 23. 1982. Mistakenly attributed to me is
a statement that the “Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) (which
includes Kaposi's sarcoma. pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. and other
rare diseases occurring in some gay men over the past year) results
”from the combined Lise of the more popular drugs such as alco» hol.
hashish. caffeine. nicotinei etc. —~ as well as the nitrites." Actually.
the cause or, more likely, causes of the AIDS are not known. I stressed
that amyl and butyl nitrite are being investigated as possible co—
factors in both the AIDS and another condition where the body's lymph
glands become enlarged. I am not aware of any relationship between
alcohol, hashish. etc, and any disease other than alcoholism, chemical
dependency.

-----

Incidentally, I checked the mentioned 25 Mar report by Mendenhall, and
found it did not reference 'acquired immune deficiency syndrome' (or
AIDS), but rather "acquired immune deficiencies" (p 5)

On 1/15/22 5:40 PM, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
> AIDS (OED 1982 Aug.)
>
> 1982 Boston Globe 27 July 4/1 (Newspapers.com)  The disorder has been named Acquired Immunodeficiency Disease Syndrome, or AIDS.
>
> Fred Shapiro

James Eric Lawson