[Ads-l] Slight Antedating of "AIDS"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 16 21:14:57 UTC 2022

Presumably the reference to "the combined Lise of the more popular drugs"
is an OCR error for "combined use". The context is interesting. There was a
strongly held claim in the earlier years of the AIDS outbreak, persisting
well beyond the early 1980s and based especially in California if memory
serves and circulated in underground papers like the Berkeley Barb and L.A.
Free Press, that the syndrome had nothing to do with HIV and instead was
caused by drug use, poppers, promiscuity, etc., and that the medical
establishment was covering this up.  Back then, poorly supported conspiracy
theories didn't have social media to live on, so this one didn't go viral.
I'm sure in retrospect Mendelhall was glad he published that disclaimer.

LH