[Ads-l] Early "Jazz" Citation

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 17 03:45:10 UTC 2022

I recall several early jazz references from writers gambling with baseball players at a resort with the visiting Chicago White Stockings, where the master of ceremonies who picked up the players was a SF jazz band leader.

So it doesn't have to be one place or the other, with cross pollination.
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2022 3:50:17 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Early "Jazz" Citation

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>

Actually, I think this is the only known citation of "the old jazz" in that=
 time-period that is not relating to the San Francisco area.  I should also=
 note the obvious point that this citation is from Chicago, which appears t=
o be the incubator of "jazz" referring to music.

Fred Shapiro