[Ads-l] Quote: I have nothing to declare except my genius (1910) attributed to Oscar Wilde

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 19 02:05:09 UTC 2022

(Sorry about the type irregularity. This comes of trying to do something
this complicated on a smartphone.)

Meter, Jonathan? Which of these is more metrically consistent? (Read in
Courier New or some other monospace font, or skip to the paragraph below.)

˘  ˘    -  ˘   ˘   ˘  -    ˘   ˘  -  ˘

I have nothing to declare but my genius

˘  ˘   -   ˘    ˘  ˘  -   ˘  ˘   ˘   -  ˘

I have nothing to declare except my genius

These may be easier to read:

For my money, the second one is better: three tetrasyllables of identical
meter rather than two identical tetrasyllables and one trisyllable. (I've
put but in the third "foot", but putting it in the second leaves the same
imbalance.)

Mark Mandel

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022, 10:26 AM ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>