[Ads-l] bullshit detector

Sat Jan 22 21:58:17 UTC 2022

Excellent work, Ben.
Here are citations in 1929, 1938, and 1962 suggesting that "bull
detector" was circulating as a bowdlerized version of "bullshit
detector". Please double-check this data before using it.

In 1929 a letter published in the New York "Daily News" sarcastically
implied that a heroic story about an infantry captain was the product
of a dream. The letter writer used the pointed pseudonym "Bull
Detector".

Date: November 26, 1929
Newspaper: Daily News
Newspaper Location: New York, New York
Article: Voice of the People (Letter)
Author: Bull Detector (Pseudonym)
Quote Page 23, Column 3
Database: ProQuest

[Begin excerpt]
DOUBTS CAPTAIN'S STORY.
Brooklyn: Ex-Infantry Captain, I suppose that after capturing those
132 Germans, killing those twenty-eight men and putting all those
machine guns out of action on the Somme, you fell out of bed. Hope you
weren’t hurt.
BULL DETECTOR
[End excerpt]

A 1938 article in a New Jersey newspaper stated that pranksters in
newspaper offices asked naïve new employees to look for 'a bull
detector to keep the "bulls" out of stories.'