[Ads-l] hot mike/mic

Tue Jan 25 20:03:54 UTC 2022

Nice challenge, Ben. Great work, Jesse.

A glossary of radio terms appeared in a newspaper on February 17,
1930. Consider the following item:

[Begin excerpt[
Hot (or live)—A microphone in operation or in readiness to pick up sound.
[End excerpt]

The item does not contain "hot mike", "hot mic", or "hot microphone",
but I would consider it a near match for "hot microphone".

Here is a longer excerpt. The glossary may have appeared earlier. So
an indirect strategy would search for one of the other terms in the
glossary.
Please double check for errors.

Date: February 17, 1930
Newspaper: The Scranton Republican
Newspaper Location: Scranton, Pennsylvania
Article: Please Stand By
Author: R.J.A.
Quote Page 9, Column 7
Database: Newspapers.com

https://www.newspapers.com/image/49835585/

[Begin excerpt]
Here's a few:
Nemo—A program originating elsewhere than in the studios of the key station.

Hot (or live)—A microphone in operation or in readiness to pick up sound.

Soup—Amount of current in the antenna.

Stand By!—Warning to get ready for program about to go on the air.

Squawker—A singer—good or bad, high or low.

Noise—The "pop" man responsible for sound effects and all audible
stage settings.
[End excerpt]

Garson