[Ads-l] Databases for Historical U.S. Searching

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 1 20:15:44 UTC 2022

Thanks for the info, Bill.  My impression was that Google News Archive has had its effectiveness crippled by lack of a global search capability.  Am I correct about that ?

Fred Shapiro

________________________________
From: Bill Mullins <amcombill at hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2022 10:17 AM
To: American Dialect Society <ads-l at listserv.uga.edu>; Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
Subject: Fw: Databases for Historical U.S. Searching

Gale also includes a Confederate Newspapers archive which hasn't been mentioned.  Proquest captures a number of newspapers and other periodicals that aren't in the "Historical Newspapers" collection.  Google News Archive isn't as useful as it used to be, but I believe it has documents in the time period you mention.

And there are dozens and dozens of small local newspaper archives, often hosted by local civic and university libraries, that reach back into the period you are searching.  10-15 years ago, I put together a list of what I knew about:
https://sites.google.com/site/fulltextdatabases/home<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsites.google.com%2Fsite%2Ffulltextdatabases%2Fhome&data=05%7C01%7Cfred.shapiro%40yale.edu%7C22738c8efadd489cc71708da59da0aee%7Cdd8cbebb21394df8b4114e3e87abeb5c%7C0%7C0%7C637921091756442159%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=Kc4IW8FIOTH5anh3N2BMQHa%2BdOjnxLowYxu8U4AwwNw%3D&reserved=0>
I haven't maintained the site, so some of these links are probably bad, and there are many that should be added.

Bill Mullins