[Ads-l] "Gay" Antedating in OED

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 7 17:16:03 UTC 2022

I see that my antedating of the term "gay" used in reference to a homosexual person has been accepted by the OED for future publication.  The citation is the following:

1934 Let. ‘Jay’ to ‘Jimmey’ (transcript, Univ. of Chicago Libr.: Ernest W. Burgess Papers, Box 98, Folder 11) Gay People are generally people who live their own lives speak their own thoughts and are in love with their own sex.

The controversy about Cary Grant's use of the word "gay" in a 1938 film now seems less important because it would not be a "first use" even if the reference was to homosexuality.

Fred Shapiro