[Ads-l] When America sneezes

Tue Jul 26 07:20:44 UTC 2022

Excellent topic, Benjamin and Ben. You performed great work locating
intriguing citations and attributions,

The mention of France, Metternich, and Talleyrand indicate that a
thorough search would require generating and using multiple
translations into French, German, and perhaps other languages.

Instead, I performed a preliminary search restricted to English. Here
is a fun instance in 1852 attributed to “M. de Humboldt”. Talleyrand
died in 1838. Metternich died in 1859. So earlier instances are
certainly possible.

Date: April 1852
Periodical: Brownson's Quarterly Review
Article 3: Austria and Hungary: Review of Les Saints Lieux. Pèlerinage
à Jérusalem, en passant par l'Autriche, la Hongrie, la Slavonie, les
Provinces Danubiennes, Constantinople, l'Archipel, le Liban, la Syrie,
Alexandrie, Malte, la Sicile, et Marseille
Start Page 195, Quote Page 201
Publisher: Benjamin H. Greene, Boston, Massachusetts
Database: Google Books Full View

https://books.google.com/books?id=GeN9NyyJr9kC&q=%22to+sneeze%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt - double-check for errors]
It is the servility with which all that is done in France is copied in
Germany, that led M. de Humboldt to say to a French gentleman who was
taking his leave of him to return to Paris, ‘See to it that your
country keeps herself well, for when France gets a cold in her head
all Europe is obliged to sneeze.’ I do not know whether this is a
great honor for France or not, but surely it is very little for the
rest of Europe.
[End excerpt]

Garson