[Ads-l] "the skinny" redux

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 27 19:38:49 UTC 2022

Here's another relevant Lucky Bag cite, from 1936:

---
https://archive.org/details/luckybag1936unse/page/62/mode/2up?q=skinny
The Lucky Bag, 1936, pp. 62-3
First class cruise, we became steam profs and expounded to the youngsters
the vagaries of evaporators and the skinny of turbines.
---

That really does suggest that the "hard sciences" sense of "skinny" at
Annapolis got transferred to other kinds of "hard facts."

It's notable that the original formulation (also seen in _The Rolling
World_) was "the skinny *of* (something)," which would later shift to "the
skinny *on* (something)."

--bgz