[Ads-l] Antedating of "blow job"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 29 18:57:42 UTC 2022

Speaking of wind instruments...

French may be among relatively few languages that sport a transitive verb
underspecified for the meaning 'perform oral sex on', where the object can
denote a female or male individual. Standard glosses are exemplified by
those in the OED, "To practise fellatio or cunnilingus on or with (a
person)" for the verb and "An act of fellatio or cunnilingus" for the
derived nominalization. The origin is unknown (barring a fanciful
derivation), but there are two curiosities about Farmer & Henley's cite:
(1) the main entry is given as _gamaruche_, although _gamahuche_ is given
as a variant (orthographically speaking)
(2) it cross-references "to bag-pipe"--this is where the wind instrument
comes into play, but checking F&H's entry for that verb, we are told only
that it's

"A lascivious practice; too indecent to mention"

Curious, since the practice (or practices) in question ("to irrumate", "to
cunnilinge") is mentioned under the _gamaruche_ entry, not to mention the
degree of indecentness mentioned elsewhere by F&H.  Also the non-definition
is given for a noun form but it's the verb that's being left undefined.
It's as if they were too busy fanning their faces at the indecorous item to
even notice the discrepancy.

Seriously, though, I wonder if there's independent evidence that F&H grew
bolder with their glosses as they moved from Vol. I (1890) (hosting "to
bag-pipe") to Vol. III (1893) (hosting "gama{r/h}uche") and beyond.

LH