[Ads-l] More Re: "Pro-Choice" Was a Reaction to "Pro-Life"

Sat Jun 4 20:45:11 UTC 2022

The OED lists a 1969 citation for “pro-choice”, but the citation
appears to be incorrect as highlighted by Fred. The second citation in
the OED is dated April 25, 1973. This note is about a possible
antedating.

An instance of “pro-choice” appears in a newspaper dated  March 22,
1973 within a letter to the editor. Barry Popik clipped this letter
(and others) back on January 20, 2020, but I cannot find an entry on
his website referring to this citation.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/42681855/pro-life-pro-choice-on-abortion-1973/

The letter writer states that he is “pro-choice”. The meaning seems a
bit broader than some modern uses of “pro-choice”. Nevertheless, some
might accept this citation for “pro-choice”.

The use is ambiguous. The writer apparently supports the right of a
pregnant person to request an abortion, and he supports the right of a
physician to perform an abortion. He also supports the right of a
physician to decline to perform an abortion. Further, he supports the
right of a medical facility to decline to perform abortions.

All these rights are combined under the banner “pro-choice.” Here is
an extended excerpt: