[Ads-l] re-antedating of "pro-life"

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Mon Jun 6 21:06:12 UTC 2022

Contemporary use (of 'pro-life') _retains_ the sense of "opposition to
birth control", and generally "adherence to a broad Catholic agenda",
whether or not Catholicism is explicitly linked to the use (either by
the user of the term, or in the broader understanding of the use), along
with the now most prominent sense of "anti-abortion". The term has
always, when used in the context of the politics of sexuality, been used
as 'big tent' coverage of a range of beliefs, as is evident from the
covert expression of some of those beliefs amid the obvious continuing
devaluation of, for example, the lives of pregnant people.

Viz. contemporary 'pro-life' legislation criminalizing abortion without
regard or exception for any threat to the lives and well-being of
pregnant people.

This is to say that 'pro-life' has always and continues to be an
expression of patriarchal antipathy toward a _set_ of beliefs concerning
'proper' sexuality. As soon as Roe falls, the hordes of antipathetic
patriarchal beliefs now spilling willy-nilly from the wings will stomp
jackbooted and shouting onto the 'pro-life' stage.

--
James Eric Lawson