[Ads-l] Update - The Dictionary Is the Only Place Where Success Comes Before Work

Fri Jun 10 22:40:07 UTC 2022

Back in 2014 I posted a Quote Investigator article about the quip in
the subject line:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/10/20/dict/

Ben Zimmer, David Barnhart, Barry Popik, and “The Dictionary of Modern
Proverbs” were acknowledged in the article.

Recently, Peter Reitan kindly sent me off-list a new earlier citation
dated July 20, 1934. Peter also sent a precursor dated February 17,
1921.

The updated QI article is now available.

Here are links to two other articles in this family of quips.

Duty Comes Before Pleasure, But Only in the Dictionary
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/12/03/duty-pleasure/

Dictionary: The Only Place Where Divorce Comes Before Marriage
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2022/05/23/divorce-marriage/

Garson