[Ads-l] "spaz(z)" redux

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 14 23:02:27 UTC 2022

Lizzo has revised the lyrics of her new song "Grrrls" to remove a lyric
that has been criticized as containing an ableist slur: "I'ma spaz" (or
"I'ma spazz").

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/14/1104925003/lizzo-rerecords-grrrls-criticism-ableism

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniesoteriou/lizzo-new-version-grrrls-backlash-lyrics-ableist-slur
https://thegrio.com/2022/06/14/lizzo-records-new-version-of-grrrls/

"I'ma" is also transcribed as "I'mma" or "Imma" -- see Neal Whitman on this
form (equivalent to "I'm gonna" in AAVE and elsewhere):

https://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/dictionary/prime-time-for-imma/
https://literalminded.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/thoughts-on-imma/

Since it's "I'ma spaz" and not "I'm a spaz," we're dealing with the verb
"spaz" and not the noun. We've discussed both noun and verb here before,