[Ads-l] Immaculate Inning

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 16 22:36:01 UTC 2022

A blog called "The Immaculate Inning" was created by Matt Johnson on Jan.
10, 2007:

https://immaculateinning.blogspot.com/2007/01/beginnings.html
(now at: http://www.immaculateinning.com/2007/01/so.html)

A post the next day explained the title:

https://immaculateinning.blogspot.com/2007/01/about-title.html
(now at: http://www.immaculateinning.com/2007/01/about-title.html)

---[begin quote]---
What is an immaculate inning? It is only the most dominant act that one can
do in sport. Nine pitches, 3 batters, 3 strike outs. It is completely
equivalent to the batters not even being in the batter's box. As shown by
rule 6.02(c):
(c) If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter’s box during
his time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike on the batter.
This hints at the idea of the Immaculate Game, which would be 81 pitches,
27 batters, 27 K's which is completely unthinkable, but would be
stastically identical to a team of 9 toddlers trying to bat. A list of all
pitchers who have thrown an immaculate inning can be found here.
---[end quote]---

The post links to a Wikipedia page that's currently titled "List of Major
League Baseball pitchers who have thrown an immaculate inning," but when
the page was created on Aug. 25, 2006, it evidently had a different title:
"Pitchers who struck out three batters on nine pitches." The page went
through a few name changes -- not sure when it got its current title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_pitchers_who_have_thrown_an_immaculate_inning

--bgz