[Ads-l] ...colours of the Rimbaud....above my blood...."

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sun Jun 19 23:06:12 UTC 2022

A. L. P. Norrington, Blackwell's 1879-1979: The History of a Family Firm, 1985, p. 122 identifies people in a Muirhead Bone painting in the book store:
" in the far distance Enid Starkie (in all the colours of the Rimbaud!–a witticism attributed to me [Blackwell, jun.] but above my blood. I tackled [Maurice] Bowra on this head, but he denied it)...."

Colo[u]rs of the rainbow is not far to week.
But "above my blood"?

Stephen

picture at, e.g.,
https://brentnongbri.com/2022/06/19/blackwells-at-oxford-1950-by-muirhead-bone/
[https://variantreadings.files.wordpress.com/2022/06/bone-blackwells-scan-header.jpg?w=1200]<https://brentnongbri.com/2022/06/19/blackwells-at-oxford-1950-by-muirhead-bone/>
Blackwell’s at Oxford, 1950 by Muirhead Bone | Variant Readings<https://brentnongbri.com/2022/06/19/blackwells-at-oxford-1950-by-muirhead-bone/>
Thanks to Stephen Goranson for sending a reference to Arthur L.P. Norrington, Blackwell’s 1879-1979: The History of a Family Firm (Oxford: Blackwell, 1983), which provides identifications of several of the figures in the Muirhead Bone pastel of Blackwell’s book shop from 1950 that I wrote about in an earlier post.I had ventured an identification of the papyrologist Colin H. Roberts.
brentnongbri.com