[Ads-l] "spaz(z)" redux

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 21 17:47:35 UTC 2022

My recollection of "Shapiro's Law" was that it had something to do with early examples of slang terms often show up as race horse names (thus my recent example).

I searched for it in the ADS-L archives when I wrote the post, which is where I first ran across it when I joined up ca. 2005-2006, but I couldn't find it (the Google search of the archives is less than stellar).

Bill

----

On 15 Jun 2022, at 20:47, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:

> Remind me, what is Shapiro's Law ?

I thought it was ‘if there’s a cute story, it’s probably wrong’ (with regards to etymology). I recall you said this at ICHLL in 2016, but I might have subsequently invented the name for it myself.

In any case it seems not very applicable to Bill Mullins’s point. Perhaps there are multiple Shapiro’s Laws.

Daphne