[Ads-l] Snakebite remedy of W. C. Fields

Mon Jun 27 10:02:04 UTC 2022

I received a request via twitter to explore a joke attributed to W. C.
Fields about alcohol consumption and snakebites. Here is a link to the
Quote Investigator article:

I Washed It Down With Some Snakebite Remedy Which I Always Keep Handy.
Only, However, After First Being Bitten By a Snake Which I Also Keep
Handy
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2022/06/27/snakebite/

This joke is part of a family of tales that has evolved over time, and
the QI article presents a variety of citations. The most important
citation I located is probably a 1946 recording of W. C. Fields
delivering a version of his “The Temperance Lecture” which includes
the joke. Here is a link to a YouTube item. The same audio is
available via Spotify.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jBWyfHkrYo

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to Fake History Hunter whose inquiry led QI to formulate
this question and perform this exploration. Also, thanks to previous
researchers Barry Popik, Fred Shapiro, and others.
[End acknowledgement]

Here is a link to Barry Popik’s entry on this topic.
https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/always_carry_whiskey_in_case

Feedback welcome
Garson