[Ads-l] Toxic leak

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Tue Jun 28 19:52:38 UTC 2022

As I understand (from a 5 min scan of the news and my limited
university-level training in chemistry) this was a pressurized tank
containing chlorine gas that suffered a mechanical injury after being
dropped. This led to what is technically an explosive decompression - and I
think it's fine to call it an explosion. So chlorine gas leaked very fast
and spread pretty far, and it's poisonous.

So to me, both leak and explosion are fine here, and both are part of the
story. For me, "leak" doesn't at all imply "constrained".

NOTE that I'm not an expert, and undoubtedly experts will elucidate the
whole sequence.

(Also, a common scenario for leaks that lead to explosions is that there is
a breach in containment (defective valve, crack, hole...) of a substance,
which then leaks out, and forms an explosive or reactive compound in
contact with water or air. Explosions then might be set up by sparks, or
heat, or spontaneously...)

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu