[Ads-l] Databases for Historical U.S. Searching

Wed Jun 29 19:11:13 UTC 2022

And, long shot, some non-US newspapers reprint US reports occasionally not
available otherwise.
And some transcripts are revisable.
Example: Australian Trove Newspapers:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/__;!!BhJSzQqDqA!Um3BVIfNvezruT5Ei9U_rqRBcPdmDRlW7FrO_VE8PkEfwI04kSo2FWqrS4i83h7vk8QoVotZFL2zVg8$

Stephen Goranson beat me to this.  I have been wallowing in Trove of late
-- it offers an (absurd) amount of stories copied from American sources --
British sources, too.

For a taste:

DOE'S SLEEP ON RAILWAY.

            A sleeping doe, on the tracks of the Wallkill Valley Railroad,
a few miles from Middleton (U.S.A.) caused a train to halt, as the engineer
swung his car around a curve.  He saw what appeared to be a bundle
stretched across the rails.  He blew his whistle and started the engine
bell ringing. When the car neared the object he was startled to discover
that it was a deer fast asleep.

            Just as the train stopped the deer lifted its head, gave a
startled glance at the mechanical monster that had interrupted its slumber
and bounded off into the woods that border the tracks.

            Western Mail (Perth, WA), November 1, 1928

1928-11-01 -- Western Mail (Perth, WA)

Perhaps little in that to excite a lexicographer, but who knows what else
may lurk in Trove.

Is there a similar database of South African newspapers?

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851