[Ads-l] Request help getting scans for saying: fib, downright lie, statistics

Fri Mar 4 21:00:45 UTC 2022

Many thanks to Jesse Sheidlower, Grant Barrett, and Stephen Goranson
who responded off-list. The request has been satisfied. Jesse provided
a wonderful Internet Archive link pointing to the page containing the
target quotation!

https://archive.org/details/sim_the-national-observer-and-british-review-of-politics_1891-06-13_6_134/page/93/mode/1up

Grant sent a scan of the target page, and he also found an excellent
match in “Pearson's Weekly” of London dated July 9, 1892.
While searching the British Newspaper Archive I did find another
pertinent citation in 1891.

Date: June 27, 1891
Newspaper: The Preston Herald
Newspaper Location: Lancashire, England
Article: Trifles (Anonymous item in a list of miscellaneous items)
Quote Page 11, Column 6
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt]
There are three kinds of falsehood: the first is a “fib,” the second
is a downright lie, and the third and most aggravated is statistics.
[End excerpt]

Thanks again to all the respondents.
Garson