[Ads-l] "yes and" improv(isation)

Thu Mar 10 08:38:37 UTC 2022

Interesting topic, Stephen. Excellent responses Geoff and Ben.

A book about improvisation by Keith Johnstone that was first published
in 1979 mentions two types of games:

‘Yes, but . . .’ is an ‘accept-and-block’ game.
‘Yes, and . . .’ is an ‘accept-and-offer’ game.

Johnstone states that the games were described by the well-known
educator and acting coach Viola Spolin in her book “Improvisation for
the Theatre”. Wikipedia says Spolin's book has three editions: 1963,
1983 and 1999.

I performed a quick search in a 1969 reprint of the 1963 edition of
Spolin's book, and I did not find a match for the terms
"accept-and-offer" or "Yes and". Perhaps she described the exercise,
but did not use this terminology. I have not looked through the book
carefully.

Keith Johnstone gives examples for the ‘Yes, but . . .’ game. However,
he does not give examples for the ‘Yes, and . . .’ game. Johnstone
gives an example of bad improv followed by an example of good improv
for the ‘Yes, but . . .’ game.

Year: 1979 (1992 Reprint with corrections)
Title: Impro: Improvisation and the Theatre