[Ads-l] Possible precursor to Huxley (1885) on witnesses as liars, experts

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 13 23:52:10 UTC 2022

I mentally misread this excerpt for a moment:
“Experts of every variety have pet crochets, theories, and systems….”

Nowadays, of course, we write "crotchets" and pronounce it accordingly,
/'krɒtʃɪts/, and "crochet" is pronounced approximately as in French and
refers to a fabric craft.
Was it spelled with "och" in the article, or was that a slip of the finger?

MAM