[Ads-l] Quote: liars might be divided into three classes - liars, great liars, and scientific witnesses

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 15 01:18:22 UTC 2022

Weird.  This paragraph

Lies are commonly distinguished into three kinds: First, there are
malicious or pernicious lies, or lies the design of which is to do
mischief. These are universally condemned. Secondly, there are jocose
lies, or lies told for the purpose of amusement and merriment. However
common these are, and however lightly they are thought of, a strict
moralist will condemn them also, because truth is too sacred to be
trifled with. Thirdly, there are officious lies, which are so called
because they are intended to promote the benefit of others.

is straight from Thomas Aquinas, who doesn't seem to be credited in the
text cited. The terms (pernicious/jocose/officious, or the Latin
counterparts thereof) are his. Maybe his estate could sue for plagiarism...

LH