[Ads-l] milkshake duck

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 15 17:20:40 UTC 2022

New to me, came up in the Washington Post yesterday:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2022/03/14/jane-campion-sam-elliott-serena-venus-williams/

I don't see it in the ADS-L archives search, even though it was a WOTY candidate in several polls for 2017.

"The situation was a classic “Milkshake Duck” of Hollywood proportions, a term coined by Australian cartoonist Ben Ward to describe the Internet phenomenon in which a beloved figure online is quickly revealed to be problematic. In 2016, Ward tweeted from his account, “The whole internet loves Milkshake Duck, a lovely duck that drinks milkshakes! *5 seconds later* We regret to inform you the duck is racist.” "

Ben Ward's original tweet:
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/741904787361300481

NYTimes on the meme:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/arts/milkshake-duck-meme.html