[Ads-l] It=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s_a_bird=3B_It=E2=80=99s_a_plane=3B_It=E2=80=99s_?=a boffin

Sat Mar 19 01:16:47 UTC 2022

The term Boffin was linked to birds by March 1943.

Date: March 28, 1943
Newspaper: Sunday Dispatch
Newspaper Location: London, England
Article: Seeks RAF Boffins
Author: Alan Tomkins
Quote Page 4, Column 6
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt - double check for typos]
One chap told me that Boffins were named after birds. I could find no
Boffin in the books of reference.
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt - double check for typos]
BOFFINS are civilians. The Chief Boffins and most of the staff work in
offices at Command Headquarters. Minion Boffins haunt operational
stations.

At meal times and on social occasions they mix with operational crews.

They are scientists, mathematicians, and accountants. They are
students of human nature—especially the nature of boys who fly large,
expensive, complicated lethal weapons.

Between them they possess just about all the knowledge in existence
concerning meteorology, aerodynamics. ballistics, explosives,
metallurgy, air pressure, and sea pressure.
[End excerpt]

Garson