[Ads-l] Off-topic: Cyrillic vs. Roman Writing

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 20 15:29:55 UTC 2022

I find this ironic in the worst sense. I immediately thought of the film Z
by Costa-Gavros from the late 60s, which recounts the battle in Greece
between the forces of democracy (embodied by the assassinated democratic
leader Lambrakis and the right-wing military junta ("the Colonels")
responsible for his death and a lot of other mayhem along the way after
they came to power. (It's based on a book that I haven't read.) I couldn't
remember what the Z stood for, but the Wikipedia synopsis (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_(1969_film)) provides the explanation:

*The film's title refers to a popular Greek protest slogan (Greek
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language>: Ζει, IPA: [ˈzi]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/Greek>) meaning "he lives," in
reference to Lambrakis.*

So "Z" honored someone who was the antithesis of "the Z-man" responsible
for the current bloodshed.

LH