[Ads-l] More Re: Antedating of "Gay" (Homosexual, Applied to a Person)

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 27 15:25:12 UTC 2022

I should clarify that this 1934 letter's mention of "the Fair" is the following: "I'll bet it is beautiful at the Fair."

Fred Shapiro

________________________________
From: Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2022 11:09 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Antedating of "Gay" (Homosexual, Applied to a Person)

gay (OED, 4.d.[a], 1937)

1934 Letter [Ernest Watson Burgess Papers, University of Chicago Library, File 98, Folder 11]

Gay People are generally people who live their own lives, speak their own thoughts and are in love with their own sex.

NOTE:  This letter is undated.  However, ​information from the University of Chicago Library and from David K. Johnson, a scholar who has worked with the Burgess Papers, makes it clear that the "Gay People" citation is securely datable as 1934.  A librarian at University of Chicago has pointed out to me that this letter's mention of "the Fair" is obviously a reference to the great Century of Progress International Exhibition that was open May 27, 1933 - Nov. 12, 1933 and May 26, 1934 - Oct. 31, 1934.  1933 is ruled out because the letter is responding to a 1934 personal advertisement (see communication from David K. Johnson, below).  The letter must have fallen within the May 26 - Oct. 31, 1934 period in light of the Exhibition reference and the letter's being in all likelihood close in time to the Spring 1934 personal ad.

Fred Shapiro