[Ads-l] to daughter out

Tue May 17 17:30:45 UTC 2022

Intriguing topic, GAT. Excellent citations, Pat O'Conner.
Here is a different citation in 1948 which also referred to the name Goffe.

Date: October 07, 1948
Newspaper: The Los Angeles Times
Newspaper Location: Los Angeles, California
Article: Bookman's Notebook
Author: Joseph Henry Jackson
Quote Page 5, Column 5
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
The Woodburys literally started at the bottom, for the broken dam had
to be repaired from the foundation up. But his ancestor, John Goffe
(the name had "daughtered out" as they put it in New England), had
built solidly and well, and it was possible to use much of the old
wreck the mill had become.
[End excerpt]

I looked for variant phrases describing the same phenomenon and found
"terminated in Daughters" in 1686.

Year: 1686
Book: A Treatise Enumerating the Most Illustrious Families of England
Author: H. Philipps (Henry Philipps)
Quote Page 202
Printed for Arthur Jones, London

https://books.google.com/books?id=fCVkAAAAcAAJ&q=%22in+Daughters%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
... Sir Henry Willoughby late of Risley in the County of Derby
Baronet, and Sir Willoughby late of Willoughby in the County of
Nottingham Baronet, both lately terminated in Daughters and Heirs, who
have carried the Inheritance of those two honourable persons to
several worthy Families of this Kingdom.
[End excerpt]

Garson