[Ads-l] 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall - about flies?

Sat Nov 5 22:39:31 UTC 2022

Fascinating theory, Peter! Here is a citation in 1924 that strongly
supports the theory that the “Ninety-nine blue bottles” song was about
fire extinguisher bottles. The singing described in the passage below
occurred at a convention held in Toledo, Ohio in 1903.

Date: November 1924
Periodical: The Painters Magazine and Paint and Wall Paper Dealer
Article title: The Gazing Globe
Article subtitle: Reminiscences of Half a Century of Paint, Painting
and Painters, and Paint Manufacturers Recalled by a Former Editor of
The Painters Magazine
Author: Edward Hurst Brown
Installment number:  Six
Start Page 39, Quote Page 39

https://books.google.com/books?id=dqjmAAAAMAAJ&q=%22blue+bottles%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt – double-check for typos]
The Toledo Convention began with the Blue Bottle song, which lasted
for several years and was never concluded. It started on an evening
trolley ride with

"Ninety-nine blue bottles hanging on the wall,
Take one blue bottle down from the wall
Leaves ninety-eight blue bottles hanging on the wall."

They were the fire extinguisher bottles so commonly used in those
days. One was removed with each verse, and the object was to bring the
song to a conclusion by taking down the last blue bottle. Year after
year some were taken down, but so far as I know, the last blue bottle
is still hanging on the wall.
[End excerpt]

Garson