[Ads-l] Saying: When everybody thinks alike, nobody will think at all

Pete Morris mr_peter_morris at OUTLOOK.COM
Sun Nov 6 01:46:32 UTC 2022

As a short, pithy statement here's Herbert Newton Casson in 1898

"Conservatives have no trouble in agreeing ; they all think alike ,
because they do not think at all ; "

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Red_Light/0VI2AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=%22think+alike%22+%22do+not+think+at+all%22&dq=%22think+alike%22+%22do+not+think+at+all%22&printsec=frontcover

here's the date of publication:
https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Red_Light/0VI2AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=%22think+alike%22+%22do+not+think+at+all%22&dq=%22think+alike%22+%22do+not+think+at+all%22&printsec=frontcover

The idea is older.  Other people have said similar things, but used
a larger number of words.

Here's a precursor, 1842

John Stuart, The Bible of Nature, 1842

"I do not believe that any two men , on what are called
doctrinal points , think alike who think at all . It is only
those who have not thought that appear to agree . "

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Bible_of_Nature_and_Substance_of_Vir/iHlYAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22think+alike%22+%22think+at+all%22&pg=RA5-PA204&printsec=frontcover

and  a transcript of a debate, June 16th 1865

Dr Gibbons said:

"Men who think at all , don't think like anybody else . It
is the unthinking people, if you can pardon the solecism,
who think alike."

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Oration_Poem_and_Speeches/dqYWAAAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22think+alike%22+%22think+at+all%22&pg=PA89&printsec=frontcover