[Ads-l] Antedating of 'toponymy' correction

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Sun Nov 13 08:44:12 UTC 2022

The irregular form 'toponomy' is found at least 80 years earlier, in 1794:

The most probable account of the origin of the name, according to the
opinion of a gentleman conversant in toponomy, is this. Saline is a
contraction for *Salvin* or *Salbin*, *bhean* or *bean*, pronounced
*vin* or *bin*, signifies in Gaelic a hill or mountain; and it being
natural for the Scotch to speak *ore aperto*, *sel* is easily converted
into *sal*; it is also habitual for them to suppress the letter *v*,
which may account for the formation of the name Saline as presently used.

>From _The statistical account of Scotland._
Drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different
parishes. Volume Tenth. Sir John Sinclair, Bart. 1794, p307.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.hnf9ur&view=1up&seq=319&skin=2021&q1=toponomy

--
James Eric Lawson