[Ads-l] "vibe(s)" antedatings

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 15 16:41:20 UTC 2022

While "vibe(s)" for 'vibration(s)' can now be dated to 1930, that's in the
electro-mechanical sense, rather than the 'aura/feeling' sense popularized
in the late-'60s counterculture (as used in OED2's 1967 cite).

The Jan. 1965 issue of Artforum carried news of an exhibit by three San
Francisco artists titled "Vibe Abstractions":

https://www.artforum.com/print/196501/vibe-abstractions-by-three-san-francisco-artists-show-continuing-preoccupations-within-new-forms-36977

"Vibes" appeared in the underground newspaper The Berkeley Barb as early as
Sep. 1966 (notably a few weeks before The Beach Boys released "Good
Vibrations").

---
https://www.jstor.org/stable/community.28033101
Berkeley Barb, Sep. 23, 1966, p. 4, col. 1
"The Folk Scene: Big City Blues" by ED Denson
For the three weeks that they [the Blues Project] were here they were
indisputably the best band in the city. [...] You can get the same feeling
from Butterfield's band, and sometimes from Muddy Waters. You never get it
from one of the local groups.
And certainly the Project should project these vibes.
---
https://www.jstor.org/stable/community.28033108
Berkeley Barb, Dec. 2, 1966, p. 3, col. 4
"Bad Vibes From Softshoe Sicheneder"
A preview of Wednesday’s arrests for "trespassing" by non-students took
place in the Student Union a week ago.
The incident involved John Thomson, a notorious non-student, and James
Sicheneder, a notorious cop.
Thomson told BARB he was sitting in the SU lounge after 8 am with his eyes
closed. He was composing lyrics for a song, he said. [...]
Then he felt "bad vibrations," he said. There was Sicheneder.
---
https://www.jstor.org/stable/community.28033120
Berkeley Barb, Mar. 31, 1967, p. 3, col. 1
"To Vote Right, Tip Left" (editorial)
Another candidate for mayor is Big Bill Miller, as a write in. His vibes
are good, most good, and most in tune with BARB, But (sob) he cannot win --
he said so from the start.
---

An article in the New Yorker last year ("TikTok and the Vibes Revival,"
Apr. 26, 2021) claims that "vibes" appeared in The Barb starting in 1965:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/tiktok-and-the-vibes-revival

I checked with the author of the piece, Kyle Chayka, and he says his
initial draft referred to the 1965 Artforum example and later examples of
"vibes" in The Barb, but this got conflated in the editorial process.

--bgz