[Ads-l] antedating of 'bar-b-q'

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Thu Nov 17 21:01:26 UTC 2022

My speculation ranged from the lapels to the lappet (tail or skirt), but
in the interest of decency I settled tentatively on the lapel. The
articles don't elaborate on that point. They do elaborate on many other
points, to the such an extent that they closely resemble some of the
finer, Thompsonesque gonzo journalism.

If there's interest, I can clip the articles and make them available to
those without paid access to newspapers.com.

On 11/17/22 12:50, Mark Mandel wrote:
> In the Buffalo citation, what is "the romantic portion of his overcoat"?
>
> MAM
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2022, 2:48 PM James Eric Lawson <jel at nventure.com> wrote:
>
>> _The Buffalo Daily Republic_, 30 Oct 1856, 3/2:
>>
>> This democrat had the word "*Buchanier*" printed on his hat, and a placard
>> bearing the hieroglyphics "Bar B Q" attached to the romantic
>> portion of his overcoat."

>> https://www.newspapers.com/image/254962527/?terms=%22Bar-B-Q%22&match=1
>>
>> --
>> James Eric Lawson