[Ads-l] Further Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2022

Fri Nov 18 02:52:06 UTC 2022

I dare not say what that this award might mean.
Remark of Natalia Pinchuk upon learning that her husband Ales
Bialiatski had been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Bialiatski is an
imprisoned Belarusian human rights activist.

The phrasing is a bit odd.

Website: New York Times
Article: Quotation of the Day: Nobel Peace Prize Carries Message in
Shadow of Russia’s War
Date: Oct. 8, 2022

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/08/todayspaper/quotation-of-the-day-nobel-peace-prize-carries-message-in-shadow-of-russias-war.html

[Begin excerpt]
“I dare not say what that this award might mean. Of course, I have
hopes, but I’m afraid to express them. There is always this fear.”

NATALIA PINCHUK, who sent a telegram to her husband, Ales Bialiatski,
a Belarusian human rights activist imprisoned since July 2021,
informing him of his Nobel Peace Prize award. She said she received no
reply and does not know whether her message reached him.
[End excerpt]