[Ads-l] Inquiring about "myself"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 23 21:08:52 UTC 2022

I can't be definitive, but I began noticing this decades ago. Indeed,
Oxford takes it back to Old English. A clear example comes from John Bunyan
in 1674:  "Your artificial squibbling suggestions to the world about
myself."

You've probably also noticed the opposite tendency: saying "for me" rather
than "for myself."  (E.g., "I'm buying this one for me.")  Possibly this
has become much more common in the past twenty or thirty years, but that's
just my impression. Oxford doesn't quite include it, but it does afford one
roughly comparable example from the 16th century: "Thinking to me [i.e., to
myself] they meant to gone us by."

Except for vocabulary, ordinary people in the past undoubtedly spoke rather
more like we do than literature suggests.

JL