[Ads-l] "Equal Protection" Not In OED

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Nov 24 17:26:11 UTC 2022

On 11/24/22 00:00, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Wed, 23 Nov 2022 13:50:42 +0000
> From:    "Shapiro, Fred"<fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
> Subject: "Equal Protection" Not In OED
>
> "Equal protection" is a fundamental term in U.S. constitutional law, and should probably have an entry in the OED.
>
> Fred Shapiro

Yeah, but it is self-explanatory?

M-W's Dicty of Law (at least the first edition) does have an entry for
it, as well as entries for "equal protection clause" and "equal
protection under the law".

On a related tangent I saw that Oxford is working on a Dictionary of
AAVE and, frankly, I'm torn: Yay, if it helps de-stigmatize the variety,
but also, y'all are Brits: keep to your own shore.

---Amy "that was probably offensive on multiple levels, sorry!" West