[Ads-l] Inquiring about "myself"

Salikoko Mufwene mufw at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Nov 24 19:10:20 UTC 2022

As a non-native speaker I have been wondering whether English has a
dedicated reflexive pronoun in the first place. Doesn't English what
some languages do in recruiting a word/morpheme with an independent
lexical meaning to be also used for a reflexive function? Several
languages do this. My perception is that in English the basic function
of -/self/-selves/ compounds is emphatic. Somebody tried to convince me
decades back in the syntax classes that the /-self/-selves/ forms used
for a reflexive function//are pronounced without a stress or with a weak
one. I hear all uses the same way, with a stress, unless lack of stress
means lack of emphasis. I don't hear weak/unstressed pronunciations.
 From the point of view of language typology my hunch is that English is
one of those languages without a dedicated reflexive pronouns and the
current discussion is a non-issue.

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwenes-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Edward Carson Waller Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Department of Race, Diaspora, and Indigeneity
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual & Historical Studies of Science
Professor, Committee on African Studies
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1115 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
https://linguistics.uchicago.edu/salikoko-s-mufwene/