[Ads-l] extra / that's extra

Colin Morris colin at CS.TORONTO.EDU
Mon Oct 3 03:05:18 UTC 2022

This construction has been around for a while. It's mentioned a number of
times in a 2013 Reddit thread titled "What ARE the kids saying these days?"
as an example of then-emerging slang.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1t6b85/what_are_the_kids_saying_these_days/

One commenter says it refers to "Someone who acts differently than normal
to get attention". Another says "it means someone who is showing off things
they own, such as a nice car or something". It seems it may have originated
in AAVE, since it's usually mentioned alongside other AAVE slang.

"X is doing too much" / "doing the most" are similar turns of phrase in
current use which may have emerged around the same time (they're also
mentioned in the same 2013 Reddit thread, e.g. in this comment:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1t6b85/what_are_the_kids_saying_these_days/ce57395/
).