[Ads-l] Why George Bernard Shaw opposed cut flowers in vases

Mon Oct 3 23:57:39 UTC 2022

Thanks for your helpful response, Dan.

Pascal Tréguer of Word Histories has an article about “(all) the world
and his wife”. His first citation is dated 1730.
https://wordhistories.net/2020/04/22/world-and-his-wife/

The Oxford English Dictionary has an entry with the same citation.

[Begin excerpt]
wife n.
P4. colloquial. With singular and plural agreement. (all) the world
and his wife: a large and miscellaneous group of people; everybody.
Cf. world n. Phrases 6b(a).
1730   Daily Post 30 June (advt.)    A Defence of Hen-pecks: Or, All
the World and his Wife.
[End excerpt]

Garson