[Ads-l] non-humorous use of "interwebs"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Tue Oct 4 11:40:28 UTC 2022

On 10/4/22 00:00, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Mon, 3 Oct 2022 16:13:15 -0400
> From:    Amy West<medievalist at W-STS.COM>
> Subject: non-humorous use of "interwebs"
>
> I just spotted a use of "interwebs" where I would not expect to see it:
> in a training that I have to do for work about data security.
>
> "There are thousands of scams like this...and now they’ve set up shop on
> the interwebs."
>
> (Data Security by GetInclusive)
>
> The context suggests non-humorous use . . .
>
> ---Amy West

I'm going to retract that. While the immediate context wasn't, there was
a later slide that did use humor (re: ransomware, viruses, etc.), so the
usual humorous use is quite possible.

Did also see a use of "frauded," which is a wonderfully logical form:

" . . . having been frauded or exploited by criminals online."

And found some instances via GoogleBooks.

---Amy West