[Ads-l] Valid First Use of "Shit Happens" ?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Oct 6 20:08:36 UTC 2022

Fred probably knows about this, being a co-author of the book you cite....

The "stuff happens" examples (1944 and 1969) also cited there feel pretty strong to me. The Brown novel is different; it's a more general use ("once you know the reason why shit happens..."), not a universal expression of resignation. I've seen a number of other 1970s examples in this general use.

Green's Dictionary of Slang cites the 1990 "complete and uncut" edition of Stephen King's _The Stand_, and dates it to 1978; I think this is probably inaccurate: while this edition did restore a large amount of unused manuscript material that was cut from the original edition, it also included "new material that King added as he reworded the manuscript for a new generation", so I would not consider this reliable evidence for a 1978 use.

Here's a rock-solid 1983 example--same year as the Eble, but the right phrasing. This is from a Northern California sailing magazine, where it's presented multiple times as an example of a "cruising maxim":

1983 _38 North_ (Jan.) 139: _Shit happens_ The ocean-going equivalent of "That's life"...Our dinghy was stolen. "Shit happens." Your best crewmember runs off with your wife. "Shit happens."

https://archive.org/details/latitude3867jaunse/page/138/mode/2up

Jesse Sheidlower