[Ads-l] Antedating of "fair shake"

Steven Losie stevenlosie at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 7 16:16:16 UTC 2022

Sorry about the formatting on my last message - I don't know what happened.
Here it is again, for readability's sake. If it doesn't work this time,
either, whoops!

"Fair shake"
Found in the OED under "shake" (Definition II-2-i, dated to 1830)

[begin quote]
To our commercial friends we beg leave to say that to obtain a fair shake
of their patronage, is we will confess it, one of the first objects we have
in view.
[end quote]
Source: Louisiana Advertiser (New Orleans), 11 April 1820, p.2, col.2
Database: America’s Historical Newspapers (Readex / Newsbank)

[begin quote]
Our maxim, in every-day phrase is, give all callings "a fair shake"—equal
privileges and burdens, so far as the nature of the case will permit.
[end quote]
Source: Vermont Republican (Windsor, Vermont), 12 November 1821, p.3, col.1
Database: America’s Historical Newspapers (Readex / Newsbank)

Green’s Dictionary of Slang relates the phrase to the shaking of dice, but
some contemporaneous citations may possibly suggest the phrase originally
referred to a handshake:
[begin quote]
All this, when embellished with a few smiles, an honest shake of the hand,
and a few kind words, "full of sound," and meaning "nothing," cannot fail
to do all he anticipates.
[end quote]
Source: National Advocate (New York, NY), 10 October 1818, p.2, col.1
Database: Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers (Gale)

[begin quote]
We understand that the clubs to the south terminate the exercises by a
grand race ball, at which all the beauty and fashion are invited; and a
Jocky Club dinner, at which the anxieties of the race, the eclat of the
winners, and the depressed spirits of the losers, are drowned in the
flowing bowl; and the parties separate with an honest shake of the hand,
and an invitation to a renewed contest the following year.
[end quote]
Source: Richmond (VA) Enquirer, 6 June 1823, p.1, col.6
Database: VirginiaChronicle.com

[begin quote]
If his Bourbon majesty ... contented himself with the fair honest shake of
the American hand, we have no doubt of his hospitable reception.
[end quote]
Source: Alexandria (VA) Gazette, 30 September 1823, p.2, col.1
Database: Newspapers.com

Even if true, the phrase was certainly connected with dice at some point:
[begin quote]
It is but proper that all politicians should have a fair shake of the dice,
especially as there is no knowing how long the game may last.
[end quote]
Source: Public Ledger (Philadelphia, PA), p.1, col.7
Date: 12 May 1849
Database: America's Historical Newspapers (Readex / Newsbank)

[begin quote]
The SENTINEL says that the money will undoubtedly be forthcoming, provided
there is to be a fair shake of the dice.
[end quote]
Source: Milwaukee Daily Sentinel (Milwaukee, WI), p.1,  col.5
Date: 16 May 1868
Database: Nineteenth Century Newspapers (Gale)