[Ads-l] Antedating of "Free Throw" (Basketball)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 8 00:51:28 UTC 2022

Presumably an entirely different referent from the modern "FREE throw",
i.e. a foul shot. This sounds like it might be a "free THROW", not a
lexical item or in any case not the same free throw as the one we have now.
The OED has one general entry for "free throw" across sports ("A throw
which can be taken without obstruction by opponents or defenders, typically
awarded as a penalty for a foul committed by an opposing team"), where I
would have expected a specific entry for the basketball use ("a chance or
attempt to score from a designated line in front of the basket, awarded in
this way"); in either case the above cite, if I understand Naismith's
context, would need to be included within brackets since it's not awarded
as a penalty. I know, it's his game, but still...

LH