[Ads-l] Antedating of "Big Easy"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Oct 9 12:11:01 UTC 2022

As part of his legendary researches into important terms of American history and culture, Barry Popik has traced the "Big Easy" nickname of New Orleans back to 1964, when it appeared in the book _New Orleans Blues_ by Maurice M. Martinez, Jr. I have now found citations back to 1957.

Big Easy (OED 1970)

1957 _Angolite_ (prison newspaper of Louisiana Penitentiary, Angola, La.) 16 Mar. 2/3 (JSTOR) Frenchman Braiseaux, who puts on all those Cadillac drivers from 'Big Easy' still keeps Number 3 alive each Sunday night with his most famous words.

1958 _Angolite_ (prison newspaper of Louisiana Penitentiary, Angola, La.) 23 Aug. 4/3 (JSTOR)  Old Adams, of Ash 3 says he's going to get everyone off his back. He's going to go back to "Big Easy" in 59 days.

1959 _Angolite_ (prison newspaper of Louisiana Penitentiary, Angola, La.) 31 Jan. 6/2 (JSTOR)  A big hello to my friend 'Snake,' who just drove up from 'Big Easy.'

Fred Shapiro