[Ads-l] "Death by a thousand paper cuts": origin?

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 9 23:01:06 UTC 2022

The earliest example I've found comes from 1988.

---
Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Aug. 23, 1988, p. A11 [Factiva]
Dick Williams, "Dan Quayle Is a Victim, But He Must Act Quickly"
The Republican vice-presidential nominee is suffering death by a thousand
paper cuts. By offering a thorough, cogent, one-piece view of events for
the press, Mr. Quayle can crawl back to the starting line of the
presidential race.
---