[Ads-l] Preliminary Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2022

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 10 04:15:25 UTC 2022

“Let me start off with two words, ‘Made in America.’” – Joe Biden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNP9LeOymSg

From: Shapiro, Fred<mailto:fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2022 7:23 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Preliminary Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2022

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>

Although it's only September, I am sending out a preliminary appeal for sug=
gestions of candidates for my annual list of the 10 most notable quotations=
 of the year, disseminated by the Associated Press.  The criteria are quota=
tions that are famous, or important, or particularly revealing of the spiri=
t of our times.  Invariably many of the quotes are political in nature, but=
 I do very much want some nonpolitical quotes from fields such as popular c=
ulture, sports, business, science, etc.  I also would like to have some foo=
lish quotes from Democratic politicians to give the list some balance.

Note that quotations from December 2021 may be eligible.  Internet memes ca=
n be considered if they are very popular.

Fred Shapiro