[Ads-l] Article criticizing use of the thumbs up and other emojis

Fri Oct 14 02:51:59 UTC 2022

Ben Zimmer wrote:
> Note that this non-story is based on one Redditor's comment from nearly a
> year ago (and the comment doesn't even say what the Daily Mail claims it
> says).
>
> https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1580348731215740928

The support for the thesis in the article was quite weak. Also, the
survey to identify the emojis connected to old people had only 2,000
participants.

The twitter thread you highlighted mentioned a pertinent tweet. So I
looked for more tweet threads (sent before the Oct 2022 article) and
found a few that claimed the thumbs up emoji was passive aggressive
(in some contexts). Of course, the following evidence is also weak.
There were more tweets of this type, but I stopped collecting them.
Some of the tweets below contain emojis. I do not know what the
mailing list software will do to them.

https://twitter.com/shahfromthecity/status/1419046916525117442
[Begin tweet thread sample]
shah @shahfromthecity
why does the thumbs up reaction in imessage feel so passive aggressive 😭
5:28 PM · Jul 24, 2021

shah @shahfromthecity
or is it just me being sensitive again
5:31 PM · Jul 24, 2021

bowel down bitches @Sitting_InJapan
Replying to @shahfromthecity
Lol cause It usually is
5:30 PM · Jul 24, 2021

A✨ @akquii
Replying to @shahfromthecity
I thought I was the only one 😭
9:13 PM · Jul 24, 2021

Pʏɴᴋ @CullenEmadrey
Replying to @shahfromthecity
cus it is
7:15 PM · Jul 24, 2021

𝐂. @CHYNAAMC
Replying to @shahfromthecity
when ppl use it, it normally is 😭
6:39 PM · Jul 24, 2021
[End tweet thread]

https://twitter.com/LoveNLunchmeat/status/1392891890786242563
[Begin tweet thread]
Stabbatha Christy @LoveNLunchmeat
Name one thing more passive aggressive than sending someone a thumbs
up emoji. No.
1:18 PM · May 13, 2021

The Travel Fairies @TravelFairies
Replying to @LoveNLunchmeat
Omg! I've always thought this too!
7:13 AM · May 14, 2021

👙IHateEveryone🖕 @_IHateEvery0ne
Replying to @LoveNLunchmeat
It’s like a big fuck you. 😫😒
1:48 PM · May 13, 2021
[End tweet thread sample]

https://twitter.com/rusty_coach/status/1492140611167735809
[Begin tweet thread sample]
Coach Rusty @rusty_coach
Nobody gives a passive-aggressive thumbs up in a work chat quite like I do
9:16 AM · Feb 11, 2022

Melissafent on the Hillifent @awkwardenabled
Replying to @rusty_coach
(OK emoji)
10:21 AM · Feb 11, 2022

Coach Rusty @rusty_coach
Replying to @awkwardenabled
Ohhh shit that’s an excellent one too
10:22 AM · Feb 11, 2022

Bob Deerfield @BobDeerfield
Replying to @rusty_coach
Those passive  aggressive thumbs up are so fake cool
1:59 PM · Feb 11, 2022
[End tweet thread sample]

https://twitter.com/poutinesmoothie/status/1301895473507250179
[Begin tweet]
yeah ok @poutinesmoothie
I find that thumbs up reaction in DMs a tad passive aggressive.
10:50 AM · Sep 4, 2020
[End tweet]

https://twitter.com/alexandbruh/status/1290723037076230160
[Begin tweet]
mona lexa 😈 @alexandbruh
The thumbs up emoji is lowkey so aggressive
2:55 PM · Aug 4, 2020
[End tweet]

https://twitter.com/anon_opin/status/1563676494349697024
[Begin tweet thread sample]
Listen, Chris… 😡🗯 @anon_opin
The 'thumbs up' emoji boils my piss.
Just type thanks, ok, a smile emoji, just anything else please.
The thumbs up is a base shit passive aggressive fuck you of wankery banality.
7:55 PM · Aug 27, 2022

Kells @KellsShaw1
Replying to @CFCneil1905 and @anon_opin
Literally spoke to G about this other night.. you know it's the truth.. 🤣🤣🤣
1:37 AM · Aug 28, 2022

Gary Crisp @GaryCrisps
Replying to @anon_opin
A thumbs up emoji on its own as a reply is patronizing AF. It's the
visual equivalent of "yes, that's nice dear" or "good on ya Sparky"
8:28 PM · Aug 27, 2022
[End tweet thread sample]