[Ads-l] U-turn (1907)

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 18 20:01:26 UTC 2022

So where does the "Michigan u-turn" come from, besides Michigan.

On October 18, 2022, at 12:07 PM, Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks to Pete, Garson, and Amy for their comments and cites. I'm writing
about "U-turn" for my Wall Street Journal column this week (because of
the term's current prominence in UK politics), so I appreciate the
insights. I'll be sure to cover the semantic shift from the earlier
"hairpin turn/bend" sense.

As for the earliest uses of the "hairpin" expressions, OED2 has "hairpin
turn" and "hairpin corner" from 1906, and "hairpin bend" from 1914 (also
standalone "hairpin" from 1912). Some antedatings:

* hairpin bend
https://archive.org/details/argonaut151884sanf/page/n400/mode/1up
The Argonaut (San Francisco), July 12, 1884, p. 6, col. 3
A Spanish mail-coach, drawn by ten horses, is tearing and plunging around a
Castilian hairpin bend.

* hairpin turn
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/111538410/hairpin-turn/
Lexington (Mo.) Intelligencer, Jan. 8, 1887, p. 4, col. 2
Our driver took us as far out upon this promontory as it was possible to go
in a carriage, and then making what he called "the hairpin turn," hurried
us away toward Pacific Grove.

* hairpin
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/111538558/hairpin/
Wilkes-Barre (Pa.) Record, Aug. 29, 1898, p. 6, col. 3
To make the descent to the creek was a puzzle the solution of which by the
engineers evolved the "hairpin," a bend around which the road runs six
miles, to make a little over half a mile.

(For "hairpin corner" there are a number of cites from 1905.)

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 10:12 AM Amy West <medievalist at w-sts.com> wrote:

> Neat! Did not realize that there was this semantic shift. Now we've got
> "U-turn" to refer specifically to the turn made by a car within a
> roadway to reverse direction on that roadway (and seems to be done by
> mostly stupid drivers in Worcester on busy multi-lane roads) and
> "hairpin turn" to refer to the turn that a roadway itself makes to
> reverse direction. In MA, there's a really nice "↶ hairpin turn" sign on
> Rte. 2 just above (literally) North Adams.
>
> ---Amy West